Wednesday, February 7, 2007

le 7 fevrier

Salut!

Yesterday was a fun day. I had class and then decided to go for a run before I had my next class. I decided I would also look for the hotel that my Aunt Char is going to be staying at when she visits Aix. I had looked on a map the night before and had googled the address but the next day I forgot the name of the street and my home internet connection had just stopped working. I figured I would just ask people as I went and just run around and see if I found it. I had a great run and got quite a bit out off town and saw some hotels. I didn't see the one that she was going to stay at though. So, being my father's daughter, I started asking people. I like practicing my French anyways and asked quite a few people. Each would get me a little closer. I walked further and further back into the city and still couldn't find it. I asked one more woman who gave me a really strange look and told me that I was standing next to the Aquabella Hotel. lol Sure enough, I looked up and there it was. It had a different sign on the other side and the sign that said its name was facing a different direction. haha I laughed because after this huge long search, it ended up being on the very same street as my school. So Aunt Char, be glad- its a great location from the Old Aix- and an even better one from where I am! :-D

I then went in search for this walmart-esque store that you can buy food for cheaper than Monoprix. Again, I asked a bunch of locals if they knew where it was. I didn't end up finding it. It's called E.D. and I found this store called EuroDiff which ended up being like a Bed, Bath and Beyond. I was confused and wanted to know if it had another layer that sold food so I approached a woman to ask her. I knew she didn't work there, but I figured she could at least tell me if this was the only level. So I walked up and started asking her in French if it was the only level but she interrupted me and told me that she didn't work there. She had this half amused, half smirk on her face and I got really embarrassed and blushed. I told her I knew she was a client but that I was just wondering if there was another level. She told me no and I left- I didn't really appreciate her attitude. Maybe it was because I was still in my workout clothes. Regardless, not a big deal. I went to Monoprix and then asked my French family later where it was.

Today it rained. I feel like its karma getting me back for teasing all of you who are enduring cold weather. Granted, it hasn't rained very long and it is still warm. But the sun wasn't out, and that's considered horrible weather if you live in Aix.

I'm in the library right now and all of the other students are scurrying around trying to book hostels and flights for the upcoming break. Starting Feb 23rd we have a 10 day break. My group is going to Spain. We're starting in Barcelona and working it out from there- let me know if any of you have suggestions for where to go!

Hope all is well- much love.

No comments: