Wednesday, February 21, 2007

le 21 fevrier: Mercredi des Cendres

Hi all!

I should be doing many other writing assignments before this, but I'm chosing to consider this a warmup. Hope all are well- I'm doing pretty good. I've been pretty tired this week so I haven't done much. Resting up for Spain- 2 more days!! Today is Ash Wednesday. Amy, Ashley and I went to Mass in the Cathedrale. It was a little different- they poured ashes on the head instead of marking a cross on your forehead. It was also white ash. lol Now before you all have images of me walking back to my seat, hair dyed white by massive quanties of ash I should clarify- they just poured a little bit in your hair in the sign of a cross. I'm pretty sure mine blew off as I walked away but Ashely's stayed in for quite some time. :-D Ashley and I teach our class tomorrow so she came over for dinner afterwards. When we went into the church we tried dipping our fingers into the holy water in the huge basin that holds it, but there wasn't really any there. The man next to it (who was dressed in shabby clothing- we think he might have been a bum) told us that there wasn't any there. We began walking to our seat. I noticed Ashley was no longer right by me so I look back and this old woman had grabed her arm and was saying something to her. When we were back in our seat, Ashley laughed and said that the woman had told her that the grungy man had used all of the holy water to brush his teeth. lol We laughed at this old woman's apparent joke and also how random it was that she chose to grab Ashley.

After they poured ashes in our hair, everyone proceeded out of the church into the street. I was very confused and expected to finish Mass. The priest had said however not to return to our seats and taking everyone else's cue, Mass was done. Ashley and I came back, ate dinner and lesson planned. Isabelle happily helped us prepare our lesson. Tomorrow's lesson: meal time. We're doing food words. I'll let you know how that goes.

Mardi Gras: Although it is a French term, I am sad to report that not much was done in Aix for Mardi Gras. Actually when I asked Maxime, he just mentioned New Orleans and shrugged. Marie, my French cousin who I met the first night I was in Aix and who took me to the night club came over however. I love her- she's so sweet! She had brought me a cd that I had asked to burn from her. I'm impressed she remembered. Anyways, with our new wireless internet here we also get new TV channels that you can access from the computer. One new channel we have- MTV. Maxime and I watched Laguna Beach two nights ago. It was hilarious to watch it with him- he kept saying how the kids didn't do anything but talk about relationships. He kept telling the girls on the screen to shut up. lol I told him several times that MTV wasn't a good representation of America's youth. Anyways, Isabelle, Marie, Maxime and I all watched "Parental Control" (a show where the parents choose a new significant other for their son or daughter cause the current one is horrible). Although they think MTV is ridiculous, they seemed to appreciate it quite a bit. They liked commenting on each new date. Ah MTV, bridging all cultures... We also get the Simpsons now... which I love. Its a French version, with French voices. The French voices are very close to the actual voices. I really liked watching it. Now if only they would get Family Guy or better yet, the Office. (I have to buy the new episodes off of iTunes on Fridays)

In the words of Bugs Bunny, that's all folks. Hope this post finds you all well! Much love.

No comments: