Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Typical Day

One of the things that amazes me about France is how it continually reinforces my preconcieved ideas. I told myself before I came that France would not be like it is in movies. And yet, so far it has been so much like in the movies. On my walk to school I pass through two open markets. The first one in the square closest to my house is a food market and as I continue to walk I pass through another square that has a flower market. I don't know that the flower market is always there. I think that one comes and goes. But the food market is always there. I also pass a fresh fish stand on my way to school. I bought something from the market for the first time today. I've been a little nervous and today I finally plucked up enough courage to try. I played it safe and just bought a few apples.

Anyways, besides the markets being exactly like I had envisioned the musicians are also just like I had imagined in my most cliche French dream. There are musicians playing all around town. It was funny because last Friday I had this horrible morning where nothing went right. (I was late, ran through the streets of Aix and kept loosing my shoe, the room my class was supposed to be in got switched with another French class, the latter decided to go to a cafe and wasn't in the room to tell me I was in the wrong place...) As I walked out of my class (yes, I finally found it) I was a little ticked and as I rounded the corner from where my school was I heard a man playing "La Vie en Rose" on the violin. It saved my morning. I really didn't expect to actually hear that song played here, let alone so beautifully in the street. It was almost too cliche, but I loved it. I have since heard "La Vie en Rose" two more times in French homes. Also, they really do have people playing the accordian in the street. I've heard them quite often, like this morning for example. There are also a lot of saxaphone players. I don't know if they do it for the tourists or if its just typical. Isabelle told me they are always there.

I've also seen people wearing berets. I kid you not. Granted, they don't wear them with black and white stripped shirts, but they do wear them. People also walk around carrying bagettes. It just makes me laugh that all of these things that I told myself not to expect are actually done here.

That's all for now! I'm almost halfway done with my day and many of yours have yet to begin! How wierd is that? :-D

Much love

2 comments:

G said...

Kelly - It is great hearing from you. Your postings make very interesting reading! Please post your pictures.

Libby said...

hey kelly ellie! I even made my blog name in honor of you b/c i hope to be a faithful reader of yours!..haha..anyway, chambana is not the same without you. yes, i know we didn't see each other much here, but i really do miss you! i've been to the art theatre a couple of times and made some other little excursions i'm SURE you would appreciate..we'll have to go sometime when you're back!
I was honored by the "girl who needs her straightened bangs" comment seeing as how iiiiii was the one who encouraged you to give that look a try back in florida(..ahh what a great vaca!)
I'm getting more and more excited to start planning for my own study abroad experience and will certainly be asking for tips!
gros bises mon amie!
ellie kelley